Look, I made a comic page about depression!
This is the first page I've ever done that is completed entirely in Manga Studio EX 4.0 (some of you might know it as Comic Studio). I was kind of also experimenting with the colouring tools here. It's fine but I think in the future I'll stick with Photoshop when it comes to colouring because of the availability of blending modes.
* the conversation went something like this if it was entirely in English (I plugged the hippo's dialogue bits into Google Translate so obv the Latin is atrocious):
me: How long as the campfire been out?
hippo: I don't remember
me: Aren't you going to reignite it?
hippo: What's the point? It's going to go out again anyway
me: Why do you have a black dog standing on your back?
hippo: Can't get rid of it
me: Oh no! You're shrinking right before my eyes!
hippo: The longer I am depressed, the smaller I become
* can't remember = memory loss is a symptom of long-term depression
* black dog = a metaphorical figure for depression. One of the users of this metaphor was Winston Churchill.
* shrinking hippo = reduction in hippocampus volume is an effect of long-term depression. Hippocampus is the component of the brain that plays an important role in short-term and long-term memory.
* camping hippo = a word play on the hippocampus
* speaking in latin = just because hippocampus sounds Latin-y